Friday, October 29, 2010

FFWD: Marie Helene's Apple Cake



Apple Cake

Marie Helene's Apple cake had a few simple ingredients: flour, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, baking powder and rum. I ended up subbing bourbon for the rum. Not sure this was an entirely good idea, although I think it still tasted pretty good.


Mixing up the apples.


Side view.


Lots of apples.

Another issue I had is that I didn't have a springform pan (I know I should just buy one!) I decided to use a regular cake pan instead. I lined it with wax paper as some other FFWDers suggested. My cake doesn't look as pretty as the one in the book, and I'm not sure if it could have used another 5 minutes in the oven. I also kept opening the oven (another no-no). I might try making this one again, as I loved the way the apples tasted, but was a little less enthused about the cake.


Warm slice.

2 comments:

Tia said...

huge chunks of apples! mmmmmm

Malia said...

Always fun to make apple desserts in the fall. :) How did this cake stack up to Mom's apple cake?