Thursday, November 4, 2010

FFWD: Pumpkin Flan


Pumpkin Flan with Brown Butter Fried Sage

Happy Friday everyone! This Friday marks the fourth recipe I have made with French Fridays with Dorie(check out the other members' posts using this link), from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook, "Around My French Table". We were given free reign to choose the order that we want to cook the four recipes for the month of November. Being in the pumpkin mood, I decided to make the Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flans. Flan makes me think of Sabrina the Teenage Witch (anyone get that reference?) and delicious caramel. However, this recipe is for savory flan. Because I don't care much for gorgonzola, I excluded the cheese and the walnuts. Due to my substitutions, my flans could aptly be named "pumpkin flan with brown butter fried sage".


Frying the sage leaves in brown butter.


My flans had some cracks in them, but they were the perfect consistency.

These flans came together in a snap. You simply toss eggs, heavy cream, pumpkin, salt, and pepper (and my secret addition of nutmeg) in a blender and the flan is ready to be poured and baked.


Mmm savory pumpkin flan.

These flans were like a pumpkin pie without the sugar. AJ kept thanking me for making pumpkin pie for dinner! They were creamy, yet light. I loved the hint of nutmeg and the crunchy sage leaves. Really a wonderful meal, especially with the weather getting cooler. I served these with sauteed garlic kale and a Riesling. Delicious and by far my favorite dish thus far!

15 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

The brown butter sage is an excellent idea.
Ha - good call on the Sabrina reference.

Christina said...

I love the idea of making just two and cooking them in a loaf pan! I used a skillet and it worked, but this way looks safer! =)

Candy said...

Great idea to use the sage. These reminded me of pumpkin pie a bit too. Looks delicious!

Beth said...

What a great idea. Looks Delish!! I love how everyone has something just alittle differant to offer. That is what makes this group so fun. Enjoyed the post. B

Audrey said...

I like this idea because I'm on the fence about Gorgonzola! I know I'd like the flan part, tho...:)

Malia said...

Looks delicious! I love the Sabrina reference. Laughed out loud! I definitely have to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Haha love the Sabrina reference, although those look a little smaller than the one that she had.

Good use of pumpkins and those look delish!

Steph said...

Your flans look great and I love brown butter & fried sage!!!

Steph said...

Love the idea of sage! I'm not to keen on blue cheese so I might make some changes as well :) Looks great!

betsy said...

Yum! I love the idea of the brown butter sage. I'm going to try it your way next time!

Anonymous said...

great idea to change the topping. i made these too and did not like them at all. will have to try a different topping to redeem myself!

scrambledhenfruit said...

That brown butter sage looks yummy! Another great way to enjoy it. :)

Frolicking Night Owl said...

great ideas. i'm not really a fan on blue cheese either, so i think i'll have to get creative as well.

Flourchild said...

Im glad you liked it..out of the NOV. line up this recipe looks the most interesting to me! You make it look so good. I can't wait to try it!
I made the roast chicken.

Manolo Álvarez said...

I like your chocolate cake.
Your blog is very nice.
I have got a school blog and I have got a visit maps.
Can you visit my blog, please?
Thank you¡¡¡¡