Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grilled Cheese...the gourmet version

So I am sure you are all sick of my obsession with soup. So you will be happy to hear that I sought comfort from the cold in a different venue - the grilled cheese. I love a classic grilled cheddar cheese on wheat, preferably with tomato. However, I had an abundance of veggies that needed cooking, so I took the classic grilled cheese up a level.


Eggplant, onions, and portabellos getting soft and delicious.


I began by sauteeing some veggies I had leftover from the previous nights stirfry ingredients. The onions caramalized nicely. The eggplant softened and soaked up a little bit of olive oil, and the portabellos would add a meatiness to my grilled cheese.



Grillin' my cheese.

I decided that fontina and multigrain bread would be the best compliments to the delicious vegetables. I dabbed a little butter on the bread and let it fry. The cheese melted perfectly, and the crust was crisp and buttery. This grilled cheese was outta this world. The fontina was gooey with a slight nutty flavor that complimented the sweet vegetables nicely. I can certainly say that this is a combo I will repeat again.



Close up!



3 out of 3 JAMs

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Aw reminiscent of Say Cheese! Too bad I HATE mushrooms, because this sandwich looks very tasty

Ariel said...

Well you could certainly make it without them. :)I am definitely coming up to NY sometime in January to do another food tour! (or at least just eat a lot of good food).