Sunday, May 10, 2009

Oreo Cupcakes



Oreo Cupcakes

A couple weeks ago I had been baking up a storm. I made these delightful oreo cupcakes to bring along with me when I searched for jobs at bakeries. At least one baker seemed to appreciate my efforts. I first made these cupcakes for my friend Jenny's birthday, because she is a huge oreo fan. AJ loves oreos as well, so I made these with another oreo lover in mind.

I place an oreo at the bottom of each cupcake liner, in addition to adding oreos to the batter. To top it all off, I decorate these with half an oreo. There is no dearth of oreo in this recipe! The oreo at the bottom softens up, which makes these cupcakes easy to eat.

Recipe is as follows.

Oreo Cupcakes

2-¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1-2/3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 egg whites
1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (about 10 cookies) plus additional for garnish
1 recipe buttercream frosting

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups or line with paper baking cups.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add milk, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup crushed cookies.
3. Place one oreo cookie in each muffin cup. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to racks; cool completely.
4. Frost cupcakes; garnish with additional crushed cookies.

Buttercream Frosting
1/2 c. (1 sticks) butter (softened)
3 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp milk

Beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar. Add vanilla and milk to thin to the proper consistency.


No comments: