Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vegetable Thai Red Curry



Red Curry with carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, and pineapple.

When I dine out at Thai restaurants, I am always tempted by the curry dishes. With its spicy thai chilis and sweet, fragrant coconut milk, curry offers complex, yet comforting flavors. In an attempt to broaden my dinner choices in college, I bought at thai recipe book. Since that acquisition thai red curry with pineapple has been one of my favorites to prepare. My go-to add-ins were shrimp, bell pepper, and pineapple. This time around I made it vegetarian.

The recipe is really simple, especially if you buy a pre-made chili paste. I have made my own in the past, which provides some amazingly fresh flavor. But the premade stuff is pretty good too. There are a couple items that you might not have on hand, like fish sauce, but trust me its worth purchasing. Fish sauce is a staple of thai cooking, so you will use it again and again. Read the recipe and figure out what items you will need to purchase before turning on your stovetop.




Simmering the red curry. Garnish with cilantro.

Thai Red Curry
Adapted from "Quick & Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes" by Nanci McDermott

1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut milk
2 tbsp red curry paste (or more for super hot curry)
1/2 c water
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup drained canned pineapple chunks or bite size fresh pineapple
6 wild lime leaves (optional; I added the juice of 1 lime)
2 zucchini (sliced into half moons)
1 orange bell pepper (cut into bite size pieces)
2 carrots (sliced)
1/3 cup cilantro

In medium skillet or saucepan, heat 1/2 cup coconut milk over medium-hihg heat, stirring often, until thickened and gragrant, two to three minutes. Add red curry paste and cook a minute or two, pressing and stirring to dissolve it. Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut milk, the water, fish sauce, sugar, vegetables, and lime leaves (or juice). cook over medium heat until vegetables soften, 4-5 minutes. Add the pineapple and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve over rice.


1 comment:

Ariel said...

Thanks for the advice!