Monday, March 16, 2009

Baba Ganoush



Baba ganoush.

I have always wanted to make my own baba ganoush. I love that smoky flavor that you get from the eggplant. I had some leftover eggplant from the previous night's stirfry, so I decided to head to the store for some tahini. Baba ganoush is really easy to make - requiring only roasted eggplant, tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.



Roasted Eggplant that has been split open.

I found a recipe on recipebazaar.com. The directions were simple. I roasted one large eggplant in the oven and then scooped out the flesh. Once that had cooled I combined it with the tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in my food processor. I added a little cumin for extra smokiness. Then I put it in the fridge to eat later. The dip wasn't as smoky as I had hope for. This could be fixed with the use of a grill, something I might try later. It was really creamy and had some great kick from the garlic.



Smashing the eggplant flesh.

Once you get the basic technique down you can try different things - like roasted garlic, kalamata olives, or less tahini, etc. This dip goes best with warmed pita or some veggie sticks.

Baba Ganoush Recipe

1 large eggplant
1/4 c tahini
3 garlic cloves minced
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch salt
1 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prick the eggplant with a fork to allow steam to vent. Roast the eggplant for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice the eggplant open down the middle and remove the flesh with a spoon or fork. Mash the flesh and then place it in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Add more lemon juice or spices to your taste. Refrigerate any leftovers.

2 out of 3 JAMs

No comments: