Last year, having only know each other a couple of months, my coworker Anjali baked me some chocolate chip cookies (the pre-made kind because she's not as into baking) and surprised me on my birthday with a pile of cookies with a candle on top. Consequently, for her birthday the following month I asked her for her favorite desserts (she named cheesecake, chocolate, and strawberries) so I whipped up a chocolate swirl cheesecake with a chocolate cookie crumb crust and strawberry sauce (super yummy).
This year, her birthday looming, I decided to make chocolate cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting.
With minimal time, I knew baking the cupcakes from scratch would be too time-consuming, so I bought swiss chocolate mix and whipped up a batch of cupcakes:
For some reason I never get the full 24 cupcakes the box estimates...this batch ended up with 21.
I wanted to make the frosting from scratch, so as the cupcakes baked and cooled, I went ahead and made the frosting.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (for 2 dozen cupcakes or 1 dozen heavily frosted ones)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed (JAM note: recipe calls for 1/2 cup, I added more for a stronger strawberry flavor)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, brought to about room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place strawberries into blender or food processor and blend/process until pureed
- In a large bowl beat together salt and butter until light and fluffy
- Slowly add confectioner's sugar, until well combined
- Add vanilla extract and strawberry puree and mix until just blended
- Frosting should be thick and creamy
I then frosted my cupcakes and packed them up to bring to work for Anjali!
Anjali and two of our coworkers ate them and said they were "amazing" and thoroughly enjoyable!
I'd say a very strong 2 1/2 out of 3 JAMs (I would give 3 but I didn't make the batter myself...) and a very happy birthday girl :)