Saturday, October 25, 2008

Green Beans with an Asian Flair!

I had made stirfry the other night, using some red bell pepper, portabello mushrooms, snap peas, teriyaki sauce, fresh ginger, and garlic. It was amazing.



The next night I decide to recreate the dish, but realized the only vegetables I had in the house were some green beans. I knew these would be tasty. My dad loves chinese green beans and I knew the sauce I had would be perfect in recreating those flavors.



I heated up some oil in a pan on medium high heat and threw the green beans in. I cooked them for about 5 minutes, so they crisped up a little on the outside. I chopped up one clove of garlic, and about half as much ginger and added that to the pan. I used 3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce plus about 1/3 cup of water. I added the sauce to the pan, turned the heat down to medium and cooked for another 5 minutes.

Some chopped scallions were tossed on top. Voila! The beans were ready. They were crisp, but nicely cooked through. The ginger and garlic were so fresh and paired nicely together. The scallions added an extra kick to offset the sweetness of the beans and the sauce. This dish is so fresh and can be tweaked to make slightly different versions. You could add some toasted cashews, red pepper flakes, or some more vegetables. The combinations are endless.

As I am often looking for ways to add more vegetables to my diet, this is certainly one dish I will be making again.

No comments: